Waitsburg School District 2020 Levy
Waitsburg School District has a two-year replacement levy on the February 11th election. This Educational Programs & Operations (EP&O) Levy will replace Waitsburg’s current levy that was approved by voters in 2018 and is up for renewal. This is NOT a new tax. If approved, the 2020 levy funds will be used to support school programs not fully funded by the state. Please feel free to contact the Waitsburg Superintendent’s Office at 509-337-6301 with questions or to learn more about the school Levy.
2020 LEVY QUICK FACTS
- A levy is a locally-approved tax based on property values
- Waitsburg’s 2020 replacement levy is not a new tax
- The levy pays for educational programs not fully funded by the state, including smaller class sizes, extra-curricular activities, athletics, preschool programs, counselors and nurses, CTE programs, technology, and much more.
- The total collection amount for the proposed levy will be $622,156 in 2021 and $640,535 in 2022
- The proposed levy rate is $3.50* per $1,000 assessed value
WHAT DO SCHOOL LEVY DOLLARS FUND IN WAITSBURG?
- Extra-curricular activities
- Fine Arts & STEM
- Career & Technical Education (CTE)
- Innovated preschool programs
- After-school programs
- Food services
- Maintenance and operations
- Counseling and student support
- …and more!
Voters will receive their ballots in the mail by January 24th
Register to vote or find more info online at wei.sos.wa.gov
Tax exemptions and deferrals are available for senior citizens and individuals who are disabled. For more information, contact the Walla Walla County Assessor’s Office at 509-524-2560, or the Columbia County Assessor at 509-382-2131
Ballots must be postmarked or returned by February 11th
There is a ballot drop box outside the Waitsburg City Hall
Estimated Tax Impact
|Year||Levy Amount||Projected Tax Rate|
Tax rates are per $1,000 assessed property value.
* NOTE: Washington State set a limit on the dollar amount a district may run for a levy (known as the “levy lid”). Currently, levy rates are capped at $2.50 and may mean that Waitsburg’s projected tax rate will decrease.